How to instal self-adhesive caulk tape
For proper adhesion, please follow the instructions carefully. Utilize proper protective equipment when completing this project. Review all cautionary information on each manufacturer label for guidance.
Preparing the surface is critical to successful adhesion of self-adhesive caulk tape.
- Remove all existing caulk. Paint thinner or mineral spirits can be used to soften caulk prior to removal.
- Thoroughly clean the surface with scouring powder to remove all residue, and then rinse with water.
- Wipe previously caulked areas with rubbing alcohol. 4. Dry all surfaces thoroughly.
CAULK STRIP PREPARATION:
- Measure the side of the tub where you would like to apply the caulk and cut the strip of caulk to length.
- Pre-bend strip of caulk by folding it at the score line that runs down the middle to form a 90° angle.
- Without removing caulk backing, place one end of the pre-bent strip in the corner where the tub and floor meet. Take care to keep caulk from getting wet during application.
- Starting in the corner, peel a small section of the backing from the top half of the strip. Press top half of strip firmly to the tub. Work carefully to avoid having to reposition the strip once adhered.
- Working in small sections at a time, continue to slowly pull off the backing and press the strip firmly to the tub until the entire top half of the strip adheres.
- Repeat process for bottom half of strip. Press bottom half of strip firmly against the floor to complete installation.
- Prevent water contact with caulk for a minimum of 12 hours after installation.